Thursday, August 21, 2008

reconnecting with the right side....

Tonight I reconnected with the right side of my brain. I saved an Alzheimer's community flyer from a networking visit last year and was inspired to sketch the image in my sketchbook this evening. This is how it turned out:

I can remember exactly when I started doodling/sketching/drawing. Eleventh grade, sitting behind Gretchen Leary in Japanese class, trying not to be annoyed by Davis Sensei's piercing voice. The first drawing that had real meaning to me had a heart and a cross in the center and the rest of the lined notebook page was filled with MC Escher type three dimensional designs. At the time this art meant so much to me since religion and relationships dominated this period of my adolescent development. I continued to find peace in drawing and took a drawing class in college to get some background. Since then, it has been therapeutic and even spiritual for me when I have time to do it, or I need it.

I love to draw people. My obsession with artistic interpretations of people started in my college art history class, and I think it has helped me to appreciate the beauty of the human body and the power of the face.

About 6 years ago, my friend Jess and I went to Europe for 7 weeks. When we were in Venice, a handmade sketchbook found me and begged me to spend approximately 38 Euros on it. That was a pretty nice chunk of money, but when I saw it I knew we needed to be together. While we were travelling, I kept picking up postcards from museums of art that I had to take home with me. I started sketching them on our trip and have been slowly adding to the empty pages of my beloved sketchbook. Below are a few recreations....

Four years ago I was lucky enough to be back in Europe with more time to spend in the Louvre. Below, a sketch of a statue inside the Louvre. I love LOVE to sit in museums and sketch for hours. That was one of those days where you know you may leave that physical location, but you will have the memory forever. Just me, my sketchbook and my dixon ticonderoga. Great day.This was just what I needed today. I need to make more time for my artistic side. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

No comments: