Sunday, December 28, 2008

Time to get back on track

This holiday season has been a good one. Lots of family, snow and Food! I have eaten a lot of crap and now it is time to start treating the body better. Yesterday I decided to experiment with a low-fat frittata recipe. Frittata's are definitely not my specialty, but I'm interested in becoming a frittata master. Besides, this recipe has fresh basil and you can't go wrong with fresh basil!

Veggie Frittata ingredients:
  • 1 medium onion (diced)
  • 1 red pepper (diced)
  • 1 green pepper (diced)
  • 1 medium zucchini (diced)
  • 6 egg whites
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 4 Tbl fresh chopped basil
  • 1/2 cup of reduced fat Feta

Directions: soften and brown the diced veggies using cooking spray. Then add 2 Tbl of fresh basil and 1/2 cup of water, mix, bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer. Then in a separate bowl mix with fork or whisk the eggs, 1/4 cup of feta cheese and remaining basil. Pour this egg mixture into a 12 inch skillet on med. high for 2 minutes, allowing the egg mixture to settle. Then add the veggie mixture. The original recipe called for spooning the mixture with a slotted spoon, but I was lazy and just cooked down the water. Lazy = Bad. I think this was a bad call because my finished product was too moist. Next time, I will drain as much water as possible. After adding the veggie mixture, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and put in the oven for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

The flavor was fantastic, but the consistency could have been better.

So the meal wasn't completely healthy. I indulged a bit with some yummy french toast. My Mom likes french toast. I added some cinnamon, milk, vanilla and a bit of sugar to the egg mixture. To top it off, we had a fresh pineapple. Fresh pineapple on a stick was a common festival food in Japan. It has been one of my favorites ever since. Be careful though- this highly acidic treat can wreak havoc on the gut.


Ta-Da!!! Brunch for Mom and I!

1 comment:

Miss Night said...

Oh my God, AMEN to eating normally again! I just had a turkey burger and spinach salad for lunch, and I swear I can hear my body singing the Hallelujah Chorus! Of course, my dad wants to take me out for dinner tonight...

Glad your Christmas was happy. Miss you!