Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Giving thanks to my Pumpkin

It is that time of year again. The time when we all are forced to catch our breath and give thanks for all our blessings. 

This blog will be devoted to giving thanks for my dog, Baby.

I am so thankful for my little pumpkin that I'm doing a bit of a tribute.... not when my pup has left the earth, but while her sweet soul is here for kisses. Lately, I have been so worried about money, job, career, blah blah blah, that I haven't been giving Baby the attention she deserves. Regretfully, she has put on a few pounds and for her body, that is a few pounds too many. In order to combat re-occurring back inflammation issues, I have been walking Baby 5 days a week, 3-6 miles a day. I might also be hoping to benefit from these walks(my hip joints are not so happy these days). I also invested in some oldie/weight loss food for the Baby, hoping this will contribute to a healthy existence. Every time she exhibits anything out of the ordinary, I panic. I know.... this isn't healthy, but Baby's love has been solid and well... I just want her to be around forever, so I will do everything in my power to keep her here.

So here is my mini(actually pretty extensive) photo tribute to my Pumpkin. I know it is extreme and I may seem a bit obsessed, but truthfully it was too hard to narrow my picture choices. She is just too photogenic.

This pic was taken about 10 minutes after I met Baby for the first time. I found her posting on petfinder.org and the instant I saw her thumbnail shot, I knew I had to have her. She was living in South Carolina at the time and her rescue group refused to adopt her out of the area. I was devastated. I repeatedly emailed her foster Mom, hoping she might have good news. Finally after about 6 months of email contact, they considered my application. No one was interested in adopting here because at the time her timid and fearful personality was unattractive to all who saw her. She was terribly abused and she didn't want anything to do with strangers and especially men. I didn't care. I would love her back to a safe place.  At the time, I was about to move back West after spending nearly 3 years in Delaware. I planned a beach vacation around the adoption. Just a quick 14 hour drive from Delaware and I had my Pup. She was so shy, but seemed hopeful about our bond.... from the very beginning....

The rest of these pics are not in chronological order. Just a collection of some of my favorites. 

Baby is definitely a beach dog.
This was our first experience swimming together. I know. the life vest is ridiculous. I couldn't bear the thought of her sinking to the bottom, so we had to use it just in case!
Baby also kept me company while I was writing my Master's thesis. Here she was, just 3 years old hanging out illegally in my dorm at the time. She was so skinny!
This was Baby's first experience with volunteer work. I took her to the Senior Center I volunteered at in Delaware. 
I had to include a picture of her and Magic. They were two peas in a pod. Best friends forever. Sadly, the two had to be separated when we moved back West, but Baby still responds to Magic's name.
Baby posing for the camera... or just licking her lips.
This is what Baby looks like when she is turkey hunting. Very happy dog!
Being a big Sister isn't easy. Especially when your Mom leashes you to each other and the cat is stronger :-)
Baby looking very sophisticated on the University of Delaware campus.
Waiting patiently for the Crawdads.
My Grandpa Mel loved Baby. Baby also brought love to dozens of hospice patients while I was working in the nursing home. These days she makes regular visits to my dementia program. Something about her old soul is very calming to older adults in distress. Natural therapy dog I guess??
She loves to hit the Mt. too!She even makes the parking lot look good....
Fishing with Mom...Baby the snow cap explorer. She was a trooper on our Dublin Lake trip. We hiked over 20 miles that weekend. She is also a great sleeping bag heater on those chilly spring nights.This trip, it was her and myself, relaxing, reading, fishing, etc. 
Nature dog on yet another backpacking trip.

Baby also waits patiently for her mom when she is surfing on the Oregon coast. She has a little pop-up tent for shelter and protection.
Life on the tracks is rough. Doesn't she look tough?
I love this pic. She was only 3. Now she is almost 10! I'm so thankful for the last 7 years and hope for as many more as I can get. 
She is my co-pilot. Thanks Pumpkin!

3 comments:

Trevor and Sara said...

I am in love with Baby. I have been since the moment I laid eyes on her. :)BEAUTIFUL pictures! Wait until I tell you about our dogs' portrait fiasco...

Daphne said...

She is such a cutie and you guys obviously have such a deep love for each other. What a special girl. (two of them...)

Miss Night said...

Oh, this makes me miss her! Looking at these photos made me realize how much Skip's colouring is like Baby's. Miss you like crazycakes, wish you were here or I was there...
xoxo